Property owners' rights will soon receive better protection under revisions to the controversial regulations for demolishing urban housing, a senior legislative official said yesterday.
"We will soon publish the draft revision to solicit public opinion and will further explain the changes," Gao Fengtao, deputy director of the State Council Legislative Affairs Office, the agency that issued the existing regulation, told China Daily.
The office invited eight experts to give opinions on the draft version on Wednesday. According to Shen Kui, a law professor from Peking University and one of the eight experts, the revision emphasized that confiscation of houses and relocation of residents could only be done in the public interest.
"The new draft version will include a detailed regulation on confiscation for non-public interest, which is more complicated," said Shen. "When the developer and the property owners are involved in confiscation and compensation, the government is also involved as the change of land use needs permission from the government."
Read more: China will protect property owners' rights in relocation
China created 11.02 million new jobs in urban areas in 2009, topping the government goal of 9 million, the Ministry of Human Resources and Social Security said Friday.
This figure was about 22.4 percent higher than the government's whole year target set in March last year, Yin Chengji, spokesman of the ministry told a press conference.
Around 5.14 million laid-off workers were re-employed last year, exceeding the preset goal of 5 million.
Urban unemployment rate stood at 4.3 percent, with 9.21 million people being registered to be unemployed.
Tomorrow the search giant Google is expected to take the wraps off a healthy set of quarterly figures at its California HQ. But the numbers themselves will no doubt be overshadowed by events being played out on the other side of the world.
While analysts and the money men smile over the expected sharp jump in fourth quarter earnings, it will be interesting to note their comments and questions over the company's decision to consider pulling out of China.
Google said the move was prompted by a "highly sophisticated and targeted attack on our corporate infrastructure from China that resulted in the theft of intellectual property.
While attacks on companies like Google are routine, industry experts have in the last few days said the scope of this one was fairly unprecedented in recent years.
"I believe this is the largest and most sophisticated cyber-attack we have seen in years targeted at specific corporations," said George Kurtz, chief technology officer of security vendor Mcafee which has been investigating the attacks they have dubbed Aurora.
ore than 30 male competitors at a Chinese marathon were reportedly disqualified after organisers discovered they had cheated during the race.
Organisers of the Xiamen International marathon, held in the south east of the country, found some runners had carried time-recording microchips of more than one competitor, registering two or more results after crossing the finishing line.
Meanwhile, others had hired imposters or used transport to navigate part of the way around the course, according to the Jiefang Daily, a newspaper endorsed by the Shanghai Communist Party.
The vast majority of the disqualified runners had registered times of two hours and 34 minutes or below, the minimum standard for high school students to attain extra credits for China's ultra-competitive college entrance examinations.
Police have summoned three high-ranking officials of China's soccer association to help with an investigation into match-fixing and gambling scandals, Ministry of Public Security (MPS) announced Thursday.
Police in Liaoning Province summoned Nan Yong and Yang Yimin, both vice chairmen of the Chinese Football Association (CFA), and Zhang Jianqiang, former director of the association's referee committee, said a statement released by the MPS.
"With the full support from the sports department, the crackdown on manipulating domestic soccer matches through commercial bribery has showcased a firm attitude in fighting corruption and rectifying the soccer sector," said the statement.
"The crackdown also gives us confidence and hope to revitalize the development of Chinese soccer," it said.
Officials with the CFA's headquarters in Beijing either remained silence or refused to comment on the ministry's statement but confirmed that the two vice chairmen had not appeared in the association's building since Monday.
At an internal meeting of the CFA held on Wednesday, two other vice chairpersons Xue Li and Lin Xiaohua officially took over the jobs of Nan and Yang.
Read more: Chinese top soccer officials involved in match-fixing
Page 168 of 255